Thursday 27 November 2014

Individuality

There are so many competitors out there today, be it for bodybuilding, fitness, physique, bikini, so what sets you apart from the rest?
INDIVIDUALITY. It is key, not only to making an impact on stage, but also in life in general, no one wants to be just another number on a page, they want to stand out, and you should because we are all unique, the trick is showing your strengths and your individuality to the people.
When you prepare for a show, really prepare, work on the body you want not what your friends or you think the judges want, be yourself, build yourself. When you come on stage don;t just stick to the basic poses, and then repeat them in your routine, be different. Pick music you like, pick a style of posing you like to watch, poses that show your best features, your strengths and your talents, if you are flexible show it, if you are artistic show it, if you have a huge back, play up to it, and show it off, what ever makes you unique show it. You want to make the crowd and judges remember you, because sometimes in competition it is so close between competitors on stage that something a little different just sends you up a level in the judges mind, and can make the difference between being on the podium, or being an also ran, from being number 1 or 2.
It can also been seen how much it has faded when you look at the comparisons between the old and current class of athletes on the top stages of the sport. In the 70's 80's and early 90's you could almost tell right away who an athlete was by his or her silhouette, their individual hair styles, body shape, characteristic pose, stance, or taper made them stand out as an individual, where as today more and more athletes are opting for the short back and sides, with most having little difference between the structure and shape of their physiques. They have lost that individual edge.


What do I do?
I work on my posing, I work on building my ideal physique and I make sure to have a fun and impressive routine the way I want to pose and using poses I admire and like to look at. For me the compulsory poses are good because people know them and can appreciate them in a routine, but you need some spice and artistic expression to bring the art that is bodybuilding to completeness. I am a big fan of a good posing routine and I work hard at mine when getting ready for a contest, spending several hours each week organizing the poses I want to use into a flowing and impressive display in time with the music. I have always been quite flexible from kickboxing so I use slit like poses in my routine, I also pick music that builds from slow to a rousing crescendo and fit my poses in with that, using more artistic lunging poses first and building up to the back double biceps and most muscular the crowd loves. Also just be yourself, there is nothing better and no other way to have fun. Enjoy the process of working on yourself for yourself, and keep making those improvements. 

No comments:

Post a Comment